Saturday, March 29, 2008

Purge, purge, purge

"Clear out the clutter" seems to be a theme running through my mind these days. I'm tired of the papers, McDonald's toys and partnerless socks taking over my head.

Yes, I did just move a few months ago but, are you aware of how many useless things a 6 year old will get from school and/or pick up off the ground and bring home in one day??

The time has come to purge the junk beast. Here is a list of things I have found around the house...why did I keep any of these things, let alone move them?? Sadly, some things have been moved more than once and more than twice.

1. two Dollar Store flashlights with Dollar Store batteries that only worked for the first 5 minutes we had them

2. receipts from Canadian Tire for Armor All - was it ever a possibility that we might need to return this product??

3. enough bottles of hair gel and shampoo with less than 1/2 inch of product left in them to re-coif my high school graduation class

4. hair clips and scrunchies - just in case I ever decide to grow my hair out. Yes, scrunchies...gotta problem with that??

5. Kissing Potion lip gloss which I loved when I was 8. Please tell me why I would buy this at 28 years old and then wonder why it just didn't seem the same.

6. allen keys from nearly every piece of Ikea furniture we've ever purchased

7. mini keys to suitcases we haven't had in years - if we ever owned them at all

8. 7 Glade Plug-In air fresheners. Does my house actually smell that bad that I think I need to keep such a vast quantity on hand??

9. The indoor grill that broke 2 months ago

10. Any magazine that ever had one good article in it. It's time to face reality, I don't remember what that article said and I don't care that I forget what it said.

Are any of you struggling with this? Do you desperately want control over your home but then find yourself sitting on the floor for 3 hours with a stack of your children's "art" weeping over how beautiful/meaningful/sentimental it is? Please let me know. We need to unite as one band of pack rats and hoarders. We need to support each other and spread our tips and wisdom about how to get rid of our crap. Plus, if you are worse then me, I can laugh at you and feel better about myself. Get out the Kissing Potion, I'm reverting to my childhood!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

That's quite a list! But how about 10 bags of shredded zucchini in the freezer for 2 years; what DO you use that much shredded zucchini for anyway?? Dare I throw it out?

Anonymous said...

OK, but do you have a daughter who is constantly "creating" works of art, such as: (a) toilet paper soaked in water, rolled into a ball & coloured with felt; (b) jars filled with water, food colouring & bits of paper which were once little cut out drawings of who-knows-what --> by the way, this creation is lovingly referred to as "fairy potion"; (c) 300 clay creations - some of which are cute - some of which resemble something your cat threw up;
(d) wrappers (yes wrappers!) from toys or candy that have cool logos on them. !!!! How on earth does a mother purge items such as this with those big brown eyes (pouty lip and all) looking up at you?!
What's a mother to do!?!